Poultry farming expansion project in Kenya
Requested byMwengenye Widows and Orphan Slums Organization (Mwoso)
Who are you trying to help? What issue are you trying to address?
Mwengenye Widows, Widowers and Orphans Slums Organization (MWOSO) is an NGO in Kenya. We mobilize people in the community through education and training and starting income generating project. We tackle hunger and social issues, and help widows, widowers and orphans in a variety of ways, helping them to learn the kind of skills which will help them to generate income. One of the main ways in which we do this is through poultry farming. Currently we are working directly with 10 registered widows, 18 orphans, and with several widowers, while more than 45 other orphans have asked us for help. We are unable to help this group of orphans because we do not have the resources to do so.
We really want to help our target groups so that they will become self-sufficient and thus not have to resort to evil ways of making money though: stealing, begging, prostitution, drug trafficking, child labour etc.
What is your project and how will it help?
The poultry project for which funding is sought, seeks to implement activities over a period of 12 months. The project expenses add up to US$ 24,210. This amount will be used on: EXPANSION, TRAINING, MONITORING and EVALUATION. All these are direct project costs, only 15% of the total budget goes for administration support can be considered as non project expenses. All these expenses are reflected in our budget, which is set out in this proposal.
Monitoring of the process against planned activities will be done on a continuous basis. These functions have been inbuilt into day to day implementation schedules. However, participatory external evaluation will be undertaken at the end of the project. Timely and appropriate reports on monitoring and evaluation will be provided to donors in quarterly and annual final reports respectively.
The persons in charge of the daily project operations is the Mwoso chairman and secretary general, who, together with the executive committee, will endeavour to cultivate the necessary working networks and linkages with local and external partners of the organization.
Currently we have the following activities in the field:
1. Poultry farming within the slums and education of the widows and widowers on how to rear chickens through working together and training.
2. Educating and making awareness of HIV/AIDS plus other STD infection.
3. Training of the orphans and destitute kids on computer literacy and other sociological skills such as artwork and music.
When get funds we plan to:
1. Make sure that at least every widow has a solution of daily income especially through expanding our poultry rearing for each widow to have her own farm.
2. Construct an orphanage centre to support the high number of dropouts because they have lost their parents.
3. Have a VCT center to be checking our members and advising them to protect themselves from HIV/AIDS and other STD.
4.To set up an IT CENTER for 30 computers lab studies.
How can other people partner with you on your project?
We welcome any kind of support and donations from well wishers and donors to come and join hands with us in supporting these widows and orphans and giving them a face of hope and second chance in life, for them to feel there are people outside who think of and remember them.
We are out searching for those who have same vision and mission that they can transform another person’s life to freely support us. The little you have is more important to someone including your reject clothes, food, old assets, ideas, poultry rearing skills and any other form of assistance would be highly appreciated and welcome.
Please detail the resources that you need.
MWENGENYE WIDOWS AND ORPHANS SLUMS ORGANIZATION (MWOSO) POULTRY EXPANSION PROJECT, BUDGET 2013- 2014, please see attachment for details.
Prices is Kenyan Shilling
1. 80 YOUNG CHICKS = 12,000
2. 6 POULTRY SHED/SHELTER = 240,000
3. 2 CHICKEN INCUBATORS = 140,000
4. 6 COOLING FANS = 153,000
5. 12 months RENT = 240,000
6. 6 LONG LIFE HEATERS = 51,000
7. 18 CHICKEN FEEDERS = 15,300
8. 1000 DIGITAL TIMER = 100,000
9. 6 TEMP. HUMIDITY CONTROLLER = 102,000
10. 80 bags of CHICKEN FEEDS = 240,000
11. CHICKEN MEDICINE & VACCINATION = 106,000
12. ELECTRICITY & WATER BILLS = 100,000
13. TRANSPORT = 80,000
14. CARETAKER & SECURITY PERSONNEL = 135,000
15. TELEPHONE & INTERNET = 30,000
16. 12 MEMBERS SENSITIZATION & TRAINING = 45,000
TOTAL AMOUNT = 1,789,300
+ ADMINISTRATION COSTS 15% = 268,350
GRAND TOTAL = 2,057,650 (USD 24,000)
- certificate of registration
- our mwoso organization logo
- mwoso- poultry project proposal.
- MWOSO website