Secure Erasure Appliance for Computer Hard Drives
Requested byCrossroads Foundation
Who are you trying to help? What issue are you trying to address?
Crossroads strongly supports the digital inclusion of the poor and needy. Crossroads does so by providing high quality refurbish computers at no cost to non-profit organisations and those in need both locally within Hong Kong and internationally.
What is your project and how will it help?
Crossroads Global Distribution attempts to bridge the digital divide by providing high quality refurbished computers at no cost to those in need.
Every computer refurbished is thoroughly cleaned, tested, repaired and all data contained securely erased or physically destroyed. For eligible recipients Microsoft Windows and Office software is installed.
These computers are then given, at no cost, to both individuals from low income families and other non-profit organisations such as schools, orphanages, hospitals, vocational training centers.
As part of our obligation to our donors Crossroads is required to securely erase all data from hard drives which are contained within these donated computers. The implementation of a secure erasure process will provide the following benefits:
- The secure erasure of hard drives represents a significant of the computer refurbishment process. An automated erasure appliance will reduce the processing time for each hard drive, thereby increasing the number of computers placed into the hands of those in need.
- Computer donors may be assured of the secure erasure through an auditable process.
How can other people partner with you on your project?
Crossroads Global Distribution is seeking the donation of an appliance to securely erase hard drives contained within computers and servers that are donated for refurbishment.
Please detail the resources that you need.
Crossroads Global Distribution is seeking the donation of a secure erasure appliance with the following characteristics:
- Hot-pluggable support for SATA, SAS, Parallel SCSI (u320, u160) and IDE drives in both 3.5" and 2.5" form factors.
- Support erasure to NIST 800-88 standard and ATA secure erase.
- Ability to run SMART diagnostics upon erasure completion.
- Centralised reporting and auditing capabilities.