Sustainable development to help young girls in Uganda
Requested bySt.Mary's Orphans Educational Trust
Who are you trying to help? What issue are you trying to address?
With time, the number of young girls dropping out of school and engaged as housemaids, barmaids, food vendors, prostitutes or married at lower age has increased. The situation has been as a result of many factors which include: HIV/AIDS wiping out entire families leaving only children to care for themselves, domestic violence, single parenthood, unwanted pregnancies, broken marriages and other related issues. Besides, there are those who have been orphaned by through loss of parents through accidents and other causes of death.
Our projects purpose is to unlock the potential of 150 young girls through training and education for sustainable development. The final goal is to have helped the girls become healthy, educated, empowered and productive.
What is your project and how will it help?
GATE intends to use both direct and indirect interventions to mitigate vulnerability in the short and long term.
Specific objectives and program activities include:
• Providing school fees and other school requirements to 150 vulnerable girls between the ages of 10-25 years
• Providing psycho-social support to the vulnerable, sexually abused and traumatized young girls enlisted in the project (including those who are infected and affected by HIV/AIDS)
• Training in participatory and sustainable income generating activities such as poultry keeping, goat keeping, piggery and food production
• To provide legal support services to the vulnerable girls in the project
• Setting girl committees to steer the project
• To hold discussions with community leaders, teachers and parents
• Forming drama groups in schools
• Organizing counseling sessions
The program will be implemented for a continuous period of 3 years
How can other people partner with you on your project?
Through fundraising, volunteering with us or by becoming an advocator for the organization, network and coordinate with funders and donors.
Please detail the resources that you need.
We are looking for US $ 34,835 for the project.